Sometimes chicken cubes are served over couscous, lentils, or collard green/spinach sadza!
Makes: 4 servings.
- 1 whole chicken cut into pieces or 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2/3 -1 cup almonds, sliced or crushed
- ¾ tablespoon butter or ghee
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, diced or julienned
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 2/3 teaspoon cumin (powder)
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric (powder)
- ½ teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1/3 teaspoon sweet ginger
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ tablespoon butter
- 1 -1 ½ cup chicken stock
- Any vegetables such as carrots, okra, etc. (optional)
- ¾ - 1 cup rice
In a large pot over medium high heat, melt butter into oil then add diced or julienned onions, fennel seeds, cumin, turmeric, sweet paprika, and stir-fry 1 minute or until really fragrant.
Add in almonds and sauté 1 minute then set aside, let drain and cool. Add in ghee, chicken pieces or breasts.
Brown 1-2 minutes pour in stock, vegetables, and rice kernels.