A traditional cooker made of clay!
Makes: 4 servings.
- 1 lbs. lamb or beef, cut into 3 inch or larger pieces
- 1-2 teaspoons Ras El Hanout
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ginger
- 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/3 teaspoon saffron threads
- 2 medium onions (grated)
- 2 small pieces of cinnamon stick (2 to 3 inches)
- 3 cloves of garlic (pressed or finely chopped)
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- ¼ -1/2 cup honey
- 1 1/2 cups dark golden or sultana raisins
- 1/3 – 2/3 cup blanched almonds
- 2/3 teaspoon cinnamon
In a bowl combine rasel hanout, ginger, salt, pepper, turmeric, saffron threads.
Add in chucks of meat and coat well.
Add to bowl onions, garlic, and cinnamon sticks. Toss well.
Add butter, meat, and water to tagine then simmer 2 ½ -3 hours on medium low heat.
Stir in raisins, honey, and cinnamon covering with water if necessary.
Simmer for another 20-30 minutes.