Makes: 4-6 servings
- 2 tsp (10 ml) sunflower oil
- 1 kg beef stewing meat with bones, all fat removed
- 2 onions, chopped
- 3 celery stalks, thickly sliced
- 3 carrots, sliced diagonally into large chunks
- 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 x 410 g tin chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) tomato paste
- 1 tsp (5 ml) dried mixed herbs
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) dried or chopped fresh origanum
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp (5 ml) paprika
- ½ tsp (2,5 ml) salt
- ½ cup (125 ml) water or dry red wine
- ½ cup (125 ml) Homemade stock (p15) or water with
- 2 tbsp dried mixed herbs lemon juice and black
- pepper to taste pinch of cayenne pepper
Step 1. Heat oil in a large pot and fry meat in batches until browned. Spoon out.
Step 2. Fry onions, celery, carrots and garlic for a few minutes.
Step 3. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, meat, herbs, bay leaves, paprika, salt, water and stock. Bring to the boil.
Step 4. Reduce the heat and simmer with a lid for 1½-2 hours or until the meat is tender.
Step 5. Season with lemon juice, pepper and cayenne pepper. Remember not to add more salt at the table.
Step 6. Serve on small portions of brown rice or mashed potatoes and green beans.