This basic mince sauce can be used in many ways and is perfect for a midweek meal.
Makes: 6-8 servings
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) sunflower oil
- 500 g lean beef mince
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 celery stalk with leaves, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 green pepper, seeds removed and chopped
- 2 carrots, grated
- 2 tsp (10 ml) each dried thyme and mixed herbs
- 1 x 410 g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) tomato paste
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) chutney
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt lemon juice and black pepper to taste
- 300 g spaghetti
Step 1. Heat 1 tsp of the oil in a frying pan and fry mince until browned. Spoon out and drain excess fat.
Step 2. Heat another 1 tsp of the oil in the same pan and fry onion, celery, garlic and green pepper for a few minutes.
Step 3. Add carrots, herbs, tomatoes, tomato paste, chutney and ½ tsp salt with meat. Reduce heat, cover with a lid and simmer for 30-45 minutes.
Step 4. Season well with lemon juice and pepper.
Step 5. Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to the boil. Add pasta and the remaining ½ tsp salt. Cook until tender and drain well. Stir in the remaining 1 tsp oil.
Step 6. Serve warm pasta with spaghetti sauce.