Feast like never before!
Makes: 1 3-5 lbs. pork butt or shoulder.
- 1 3-5 lbs. pork butt or shoulder
- 2 tbsp salt
- 4-5 cups water
- 2-3 cups ice cubes
- 1 tablespoon butter or ghee
- 1 1/2-inch piece of ginger, minced or grated
- ½ teaspoon black cumin seeds
- 1-2-star anise
- 2 whole cloves
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric or sweet paprika
- 1/3 teaspoon chicken bouillon
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder with diced parsley
- 1/3 teaspoon jalapeno powder
- 1 can diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 5 cups chicken stock
Trim pork of unwanted fat and skin. Wash and pat dry pork.
Place pork in a large bowl with salt, ice, and water.
Cover and refrigerate 2-4 hours then discard water and pat dry pork. Sitting out, bring to room temperature.
In a crock pot over low heat, melt butter/ghee.
Add in and sauté 1-2 minutes black cumin seeds, star anise, turmeric or sweet paprika, chicken bouillon, garlic powder with parsley, jalapeno powder.
Brown pork in spices. Press cloves into meat.
Add in tomatoes and chilies and chicken stock. Cook on high 5-6 hours.
Checking frequently for adequate liquid levels.