Serve over mashed potatoes or rice!
Makes: 4-6 servings.
- 1 3-5 lbs. beef roast
- 1 tablespoon butter or ghee
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 10-20 pearl onions
- 2/3 teaspoon garlic, minced or grated
- 1/2 tablespoon ginger, minced or grated
- 2/3 teaspoon turmeric, minced or grated
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 tablespoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon chili pepper
- 1/3 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron threads
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 cup sliced okra
- 1 cup chunked sweet potato
- 4-6 cups beef stock
In the bottom of the crock pot turn the low melt butter into oil and swirl around applying a thin layer to the bowl.
Add in onions, garlic, ginger, and turmeric pushing back and forth and around 30 sec. – 1 minute seasoning the bowl.
Sprinkle over them salt and pepper, cumin, chili pepper, smoked paprika, cloves, saffron threads, cinnamon and sauté until very fragrant (approx. 30- 45 seconds).
Add vegetables and brown 45 seconds to 1 minute, coating well in seasoning.
Add in beef and brown for 3-5 minutes.
Pour in stock and cook on high for 6-7 hours.