Makes: 6-8 servings
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) sunflower oil
- 6 chicken breasts on the bone, halved and skin and all fat removed
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 cm piece fresh ginger, grated
- 3-4 cardamom pods
- 1 large cinnamon stick
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) ground cumin
- 2 tsp (10 ml) chilli powder or to taste
- 2 tsp (10 ml) ground coriander
- 1 tsp (5 ml) each turmeric and garam masala
- 3 tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) tomato paste
- 2 cups (500 ml) water or Homemade stock
- 3 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt
- ½ cup (125 ml) buttermilk or plain low-fat yoghurt (optional)
Step 1: Heat oil in a large pot and fry chicken until golden brown. Spoon out and set aside.
Step 2: In the same pot fry onions, garlic and ginger for a few minutes. Stir in all the spices.
Step 3: Add tomatoes, tomato paste and water and simmer for a few minutes. Step 4: Add chicken, potatoes and salt to sauce and simmer over a low heat for 30 minutes or until the chicken and potatoes are cooked.
Step 5: Stir in the buttermilk and serve with small portions of brown rice. Garnish with fresh coriander.