Brown rice and lentils are a perfect combination. Together they form a complete protein, making this a
Makes: 4-6 servings
- 2 tsp (10 ml) sunflower oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1 green pepper, seeds, removed and chopped
- 1 tsp (5 ml) ground cumin
- 1 tsp (5 ml) dried mixed herbs
- 1 bay leaf and 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 cup (250 ml) uncooked brown lentils
- 1 cup (250 ml) uncooked brown rice
- 3 cups (750 ml) water
- ½ tsp (2,5 ml) salt lemon juice and black pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) chopped
Step 1. Heat oil in a pot and fry onions, garlic, carrots and green pepper for a few minutes.
Step 2. Add cumin, dried herbs, bay leaf and cinnamon with the lentils, rice, water and salt.
Step 3. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer with a lid for 30-40 minutes or until the rice and lentils are tender. Add another ½ cup of water if necessary.
Step 4. Season with lemon juice and pepper. Stir in the fresh herbs and serve warm.