Hearty bean soup Recipe. The dried beans, lentils and veggies make this a ﬁlling soup for winter. Beans and lentils are a healthy source of protein.
- 1 cup (250 ml) dried sugar beans
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) sunflower oil
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
- 8 cups (2 litres) Homemade stock (p15) or water with 3 tbsp dried mixed herbs.
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) dried mixed herbs
- 1 cup (250 ml) uncooked brown lentils
- 4 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) tomato paste
- 2 cups (500 ml) thinly sliced cabbage or spinach
- ¼ cup (60 ml) chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tsp (10 ml) sugar ½ tsp (2,5 ml) salt lemon juice and black pepper to taste
Stop 1: Soak beans in 1 litre of water overnight. Rinse and drain. Step 2: Heat oil in a large pot and fry carrots, onion and garlic.
Step 3: Stir in the stock, dried herbs, lentils and beans.
Step 4: Bring to the boil and reduce the heat. Simmer, with a lid, for 1½-2 hours or until the beans are tender.
Step 5: Add tomatoes, tomato paste and cabbage and simmer for another 15 minutes. Stir in the parsley, sugar and salt.
Step 6: Season with lemon juice and pepper.