Served over spicy yellow couscous or creamy mashed potatoes!
Makes: 4 servings.
- ½ -1 lbs., ground beef
- 1 package or 4 cups dried brown or green lentils
- 1 24 oz. can crushed or stewed tomatoes
- 2 cups carrots, sliced (can substitute with sweet potatoes, any root vegetable or hearty squash)
- 1 tablespoon turmeric, minced
- ½ onion, chopped, grated or julienned
- 1 ½ tsp garlic, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- ¾ teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2/3 teaspoon sweet paprika
- ¼ teaspoon sweet ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tablespoon clove
- 8 cups water
In a large pot brown ground beef, transfer to a paper towel lined plated to drain. Keep some hamburger grease in the bottom of the pot. (Some prefer stew with all of the grease in the stew, if you do too skip this step)
In grease melt butter and sauté onions, turmeric, and garlic.
Add in bay leaves, cumin, smoked paprika, sweet paprika, sweet ginger, cinnamon, cayenne pepper, clove.
Stir in liquid.
Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, simmer for 30-50 minutes.