Another great savory hearty dish that’s good as the main entree or to enhance a main dish!
Makes: approx. 4 cups.
- 4-4 1/2 cups brown or green lentils
- 3-5 pieces of okra, sliced -soaked in water and vinegar to reduce sliminess
- 2 10 oz. cans stewed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon butter or ghee
- 1 ½ tsp turmeric, minced (optional)
- 1 red onion, grated or julienned
- 2 tsp garlic, minced
- 4 tablespoons parsley, diced
- 1 bay leaf, crushed
- 1 teaspoon toasted cumin seeds
- 2/3 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 3/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/3 teaspoon ginger
- 1/3 teaspoon coarse black pepper
- 1/3 tsp chili pepper or cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tablespoon cinnamon
- 8 cups water, beef, or vegetable stock
In a pot warmed over high heat, melt butter and sauté turmeric, onion, and garlic 1-2 minutes.
Stir in parsley, crushed bay leaf, toasted cumin seeds, sweet paprika, smoked paprika, pepper, chili pepper/cayenne pepper, cinnamon and stir fry 30-40 seconds or until room is fragrant and the bottom of the pot is seasoned.
Pour in water or stock, bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, let simmer for 35-45 minutes.