A fusion of African and Indian!
Makes: 4-6 servings.
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- ¾ tablespoon curry powder or garam masala
- 1/2 tablespoon of coriander
- 1 ¼ tablespoon of cumin
- 2/3 teaspoon of cumin seeds
- 2/3 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- ½ - 1 cinnamon sticks
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp ginger, minced
- 2-3 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 4-6 pieces of chicken thighs or legs
- 2-3 plum tomatoes, chopped or quartered
- 1 tablespoon of tomato puree
- 1 1/2 cups potatoes cubes
- ¾ -1 cup of no salt chicken stock
In a heavy pot warmed over medium heat melt butter into oil and sauté onions, ginger, garlic 1-2 minutes.
Add curry powder/garam masala, coriander, cumin, cumin seeds, cayenne pepper, cinnamon or stick and sauté 30 seconds to 1 minute.
Increase heat to high and add the chicken, getting as much of the onion spice mixture on pieces as possible.
Add in potato cubes and stock; bring to a boil, reduce heat and cover, simmer for 25-30 minutes.