A ﬂavourful one-pot supper. The butternut and spices are perfect with the beef and beans.
Makes: 5-6 servings
- ½ cup (125 ml) dried sugar beans or white beans
- 2 tsp (10 ml) sunflower oil 500g beef stewing meat with bones, all fat removed
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 green pepper, seeds removed and chopped
- 2 cups (500 ml) water
- 1 cinnamon stick (optional)
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) curry powder
- 2 potatoes, chopped 300 g butternut, cubed
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- ½ tsp (2,5 ml) salt
- lemon juice and black pepper to taste
Step 1: Soak beans in 1 litre of water overnight. Rinse and drain.
step2: Heat half the oil in a pot and fry meat until golden brown. Spoon out and set aside.
step3: Heat the rest of the oil and fry onions, carrots and green pepper for a few minutes.
Step 4: Add beans, meat, water and cinnamon. Bring to the boil and reduce the heat.
Step 5: Simmer with a lid for 1½ hours or until the beans are cooked.
Step 6: Add the remaining ingredients and simmer for another 30 minutes or until the meat, beans and veggies are tender.
Step 7: Season with lemon juice and pepper and serve hot.
Fair Use Statement
Like a good pizza, this project is made to share with friends—so long as you do so for noncommerical purposes. If you do use our content and graphics, we simply ask that you link back to this page to attribute us appropriately.