If you are wondering what are antioxidants and how important they are for our health? You have landed at the right place. In this comprehensive guide, you will find answers to all your questions related to antioxidants. Continue reading!
What are Antioxidants?
These are powerful substances that strengthen our body’s defense system. They can be natural or man-made. Antioxidants can delay certain types of cell damage or prevent them altogether. These substances are available in different food products; vegetables, fruits etc. However, they can also be obtained by having certain dietary supplements. It is important to note that our body also produces antioxidants naturally.
The antioxidants our body produces are called endogenous antioxidants while those, which we obtain from external sources are known as exogenous. Examples of antioxidants are lycopene, lutein, vitamin A, C, and E, and beta-carotene etc.
Reason to Use Food Products to Get Antioxidants
As stated above, our body produces antioxidants naturally. Despite this, we often have to rely on external sources to obtain antioxidants. This is due to the fact that apart from making antioxidants, our body also produces free radicals that can damage our cells. These radicals outnumber the antioxidants; therefore, to maintain an equilibrium, we are often recommended by the physicians or health experts to eat antioxidants rich food products.
Food Products Rich in Antioxidants
The following are some of the food products that are rich in antioxidants:
- Dark chocolate (15 mmol of antioxidants per 100 gram)
- Blueberries (9.2 mmol of antioxidants per 100 gram)
- Strawberries (5.4 mmol of antioxidants per 100 gram)
- Pecans (10.6 mmol of antioxidants per 100 gram)
- Artichokes (4.7 mmol of antioxidants per 100 gram)
- Goji Berries (4.3 mmol of antioxidants per 100 gram)
- Raspberries (4 mmol of antioxidants per 100 gram)
Apart from these, beans, beets, spinach, red cabbage, and kale are other food products that contain antioxidants.
Benefits of Antioxidants
Apart from the common question “what are antioxidants”, people also wonder what are the benefits of antioxidants. Here, we have shed light on this topic. Described below are some of the top benefits of antioxidants:
- The major benefit of antioxidants, as discussed above, is that they help to prevent or delay cell damage.
- Antioxidants obtained from beta-carotene are vital for our eye health.
- Antioxidants obtained from lycopene are good for prostate health.
- Antioxidants also offer skin health benefits. They can prevent premature aging, sunburn, and other conditions. Furthermore, they can also prevent the chances of skin cancer.
- Antioxidants are also known to strengthen the body’s immune system.
- These substances can help to protect one from certain mood disorders, eye problems, heart problems, and memory-related issues.
A Final Word
Now that you have gotten the answer to the question “what are antioxidants” and “what are their benefits”, make sure you are paying attention to your diet. Consult your dietitian today and take suggestions from them on which antioxidants rich food products are suitable for you.