Soaking the okra 45 minutes to 1 hour in water and vinegar helps reduce the ‘sliminess’ of okra.
Makes: 4-5 servings
- 2/3 -1 lb. lamb or beef
- 2/3 -1 lb. okra, trimmed and soaked
- ½ -1 lb. zucchini, chopped
- 4 cups plum tomatoes, quartered
- 1 red onion, diced or julienned
- 1-2 heaping tbsp garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped or 2-3 tsp toasted coriander seeds
- 1 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 2/3 tablespoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoons salt, or to taste
- 2/3 teaspoon pepper
- ¾ teaspoon turmeric
- 1/3 tsp saffron threads
- 3 ½ - 4 cups water
In a large pot warmed over medium high heat sauté onions, garlic, cilantro, parsley, ginger, salt, pepper, turmeric, and saffron threads 30-40 seconds. Add meat and brown.
Stir in water, stirring bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer 1 hour and 20 minutes or 80 minutes.
Stir in okra and return to simmer for 8-11 minutes.